Today the pups had lots of new experiences as well as visitors! It’s all about socialization at this age – the more the better. After pups are 6 weeks of age, often times we allow their new families to come and visit. Joe and Jag’s new family came this morning to play with the boys and their sisters joined in the fun too.
This afternoon, we brought the pups into the kitchen for their play sessions, allowing them access to new smells and sensations. We also utilize Pat Hasting’s “Rule Of Seven’s” for socializing our puppies:
Rule Of Seven’s:
- Been on 7 different surfaces,
- Played with 7 different types of objects,
- Been in 7 different locations,
- Been exposed to 7 challenges,
- Eaten from 7 different containers,
- Eaten in 7 different locations,
- Met and played with 7 new people.
So as of today, we met the rest of our final 7’s! I totally recommend our new puppy families continue these rules after their new puppy comes home. It’s not that difficult to do either. Expanding their experiences and socialization once they leave here is key to having the most well balanced and happy Chihuahua!